LVDT / RVDT Excitation, Signal Conditioning
The LVDT-8U signal conditioning board was designed to improve upon the advances made with the release of our LVDT-8A model.
The LVDT-4U is a 4-port version of the same product.
Half-bridge LVDTs requiring high-gain and a wide offset adjustment are now supported, as well as the inclusion of one master channel for frequency generation, which all other channels are synchronized to. This eliminates beat frequencies when sampling the outputs with a fast A/D, providing more reliable and accurate data.
The board supplies excitation and the corresponding conditioning of the outputs for up to eight independent LVDT transducers simultaneously. Those outputs are then readily available via removable screw terminals for introduction to a data acquisition or measurement circuit such as an analog to digital converter or simply by using a display meter.
It also has an LED display utility for quick and easy checkout of the sensors and signal conditioner operation. Jumper select the channel of interest and observe the output voltage level as +10V, +5V, ZERO, -5V or -10V. This inherently makes the product more serviceable and vastly more user friendly.
LVDT and SYSTEM VARIATIONS
Certain LVDT sensor specifications affect the way the LVDT-8U board will be configured for your application, so please have this information available when placing your order.
- Model Number of LVDT (a second set of eyes always helps to verify the specifications)
- Configuration / Number of wires (full-bridge / 4 wires or half-bridge / 3 wires)
- Displacement / Travel (usually specified in mm or mils if not in metric)
- Displacement / Travel of interest (this is often less distance than the LVDT is capable of)
- Output Span / Sensitivity (usually specified in mV/V/mils)
- Excitation Voltage (such as 2.5Vrms nominal)
- Excitation Frequency (such as 4.8kHz +/-8%)
- Desired Output Signal Level (such as +/-1V to +/-14V)
- Desired Bandwidth (the rate at what the LVDT probe tip will be moving)
Accessories include an assortment of 37-pin ribbon cables for connecting the conditioned outputs to a variety of readily available analog to digital converter products. ACCES offers a broad range of A/D products using USB, RS-485, PCI, PC/104, Ethernet, 900MHz/2.4GHz wireless, and even ISA bus types. For high-channel count applications our multiplexor accessory allows up to eight LVDT-8U boards to be connected to one 8-channel A/D board.
No software is necessary to start using the LVDT-8U. A user friendly setup program and user manual is included with each shipment. The setup program can be used to help with the selection of application specific options and the user manual contains full details on the boards operation.
Last updated on November 19th, 2021