Smallest, Fanless Intel® Core™ Duo Embedded System with Industrial PC/104-Plus I/O Expansion
The NANO I/O SERVER CD is one of the smallest embedded systems available featuring an Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz CPU in a fanless enclosure. The system was designed to support an extensive collection of available COTS PC/104 modules and external USB I/O devices along with the high-performance benefits of ETX. This allows for added versatility and is useful in a wide variety of applications.
The system is housed in a rugged, black anodized aluminum enclosure measuring only 5″ wide, 6.25″ deep and 3″ high. The enclosure offers physical protection for industrial environments and features a bulkhead mounting provision. The unit is quietly powered by an included 12VDC to ATX power supply with no fans. External connections provided include VGA, four USB 2.0 root ports, one RS-232 and one RS-232/422/485-selectable COM ports, PS/2 keyboard and mouse, 10/100 Ethernet and standard PC sound. This tiny system is the first fanless Intel Core Duo to highlight full PC/104, PCI-104 and PC/104-Plus I/O expansion.
The NANO I/O Server CD has almost twice the performance of a 1.8 Pentium M CPU processor commonly used in other small embedded systems but with far less wattage. The NANO sized system is passively cooled but still provides performance equal to more than ten times the benchmark comparison of any other NANO-ITX sized motherboard system. The system internally supports either a laptop SATA or IDE 2.5” hard drive or a Compact Flash card. It has room to support up to two PC/104, PCI-104 or PC/104-Plus I/O modules depending on whether the Compact Flash or hard drive is used. A removable plate can be customized to bring out customer-specified I/O cables or connectors. Input to the 12VDC ATX power supply is provided by a standard laptop-type plug receptacle so that a standard external AC brick to 12VDC power supply can be used to avoid excess heat within the system.
The NANO I/O Server is unique due to the capability of utilizing any embedded ETX CPU board that meets the ETX standard for its processing, while providing PC/104 I/O module expansion. Whether the application requires a high-end 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo, a mid-range 800MHz Celeron M, or a very low wattage AMD LX800 processor, ACCES I/O can provide a fanless system solution to match a specific requirement. Although smaller than the EPIC embedded boards, the NANO still supports PC/104-Plus I/O modules in an upward stack. In addition to the ETX-NANO-104 motherboard I/O, the NANO has supplemental onboard I/O connectors for flat-panel support, IDE, Compact Flash, and an extra RS-232 serial port. The system includes a tiny 120W DC to DC ATX power supply that connects directly into the small 12-pin micro-fit power connector on the motherboard. A 12VDC regulated external power plug exists outside the system to allow insertion of an external AC to 12VDC laptop type brick power supply. ATX type power switch is include d to control internal ATX power supply. An external green LED provides power indication. All this is contained in the rugged, black anodized aluminum enclosure which provides passive fanless cooling, even with the latest LV 1.66GHz Core Duo from Intel. Cooling is directly conductive from the CPU and chipset through a heat spreader attached to the bottom of the enclosure and isolated from expansion I/O cards.
The NANO I/O Server CD is the perfect product for users ranging from high-volume OEMs to small, simple evaluation/prototype systems. By combining the benefits of both the ETX and PC/104 standards, a more cost effective time to market is achieved no matter what the quantity. Large quantity OEMs can use the wide range of COTS PC/104 and ETX products for simple and easy prototyping and evaluation purposes. For small quantity embedded users, your next system can include all the benefits of this combo motherboard/system. These benefits include the capability to easily choose and upgrade your ETX CPU and the high availability of COTS PC/104 modules. Your next system can have the best of all worlds. Once again, time to market is dramatically reduced and future upgrades are as easy as choosing a new ETX CPU and/or PC/104 module. This system has highest computer MIPS per WATT per SIZE available with I/O expansion.
In summary, the NANO I/O Server CD offers the most powerful embedded computing for COTS I/O in a rugged, quiet, cool, tiny package. The design is excellent for use in applications such as mobile data acquisition and control, robotics, military and defense, and avionics where both performance and size matter.
- Factory Automation
- Military and Defense
- Building Management and Control
- Industrial Control/Automation
- Data Acquisition
- Laboratory Research
- NANOIOSD – ETX-CD1.66G:
- ETX 3.0 with LV Intel® Core™ Duo Processor L2400 (1.66GHz, 667FSB, 2MB L2). This is highest performance fanless embedded solution.
- NANOIOSC – ETX-PM800:
- Intel® Celeron M™ ULV Mobile Processor 82855GME (800MHz, 400FSB). This is mid-range performance fanless embedded solution.
- NANOIOSA – ETX-LX800:
- ETX 3.0 with AMD® Geode™ Low Power Embedded Processor LX800 (500MHz, CS3566 chipset, Intel 82551ER ethernet). Very low wattage fanless with basic performance. This is mid-range performance fanless embedded solution. Call for special configurations.
Qualified memory for ETX CPU embedded modules:
- DDR 256MB memory module for ETX-PM800 or ETX-LX800
- DDR 512MB memory module for ETX-PM800 or ETX-LX800
- DDR 1GB memory module for ETX-PM800 or ETX-LX800
- DDR2 2GB memory module for ETX-CD1.66G only (call for smaller memory)
Industrial Compact Flash Cards:
- All are bootable UDMA with extended life of 2 million writes & extended temperature operation (-25°C to 80°C): CPF-8GB-I1
- 8GB industrial compact flash card for solid state booting and storage: CPF-4GB-I1
- 4GB industrial compact flash card for solid state booting and storage: CPF-1GB-I1
- 1GB industrial compact flash card for solid state booting and storage: CPF-512MB-I1
- 512MB industrial compact flash with 2 million writes & extended temperature
- External 110W AC (100-240V) to DC (12V@8.5A) cabled brick (laptop style) power supply for NANO I/IO Server