Sixteen Channel, 12-Bit Analog Input Card
- 16 Single-Ended / 8 Differential Analog Inputs
- 12-Bit Resolution, 100kHz A/D Converter
- Eight Programmable Voltage Ranges (Unipolar & Bipolar) and 4-20mA Current Range
- FIFO Data and Point List Buffers ('A' version). Both FIFOs 2K
- On-board Pacer Clock and Counter Timers
- Universal PCI, PCI-X, 3.3V and 5V compatible (Call for PCI-Express availability)
- Number of Analog Inputs Can Be Expanded up to 256 by use of our External Signal Conditioners/Sub-Multiplexers.
- Software Drivers Included for Windows XP -> 10, both 32 & 64 bit
Model PCI-AI12-16A has all of the foregoing plus includes a 2K Samples FIFO data buffer and a 2K words Point List FIFO buffer. Addition of these FIFO's permits background-task-based data acquisition, essential for moderate throughput in Windows. The Point List FIFO contains channel, sub-MUX channel, and voltage range for each analog-input channel (point). The data buffer contains A/D conversion results. When the data buffer becomes half full, an Interrupt can be generated to cause the data to be read into the computer.
INPUT VOLTAGE RANGESInput analog voltages are amplified by a programmable-gain amplifier. Eight voltage ranges are available: 0-10V, 0-5V, an offset voltage range of +1.25V to +3.75V and 1.25 to 6.25 unipolar and ±10V, ±5V, ±2.5V, and ±1.25V bipolar. Further, by placing jumpers on the board you can manually select a 4-20 mA current range. In that latter case, the current input is converted to a special analog voltage range that will yield full 12-bit resolution and there can be up to eight inputs. In applications that require mixed voltage and current inputs, jumpers are placed only on the channels that are to have current inputs.
INPUT SYSTEM EXPANSIONUp to 256 differential or single-ended analog inputs can be handled through use of external signal conditioner/sub-multiplexers (model AIM-16P). The output of each 16-input sub-multiplexer will connect to one of the A/D single-ended inputs.
DISCRETE DIGITAL INPUT/OUTPUTThere are four ports for discrete TTL-level digital inputs or outputs. When used as outputs, each output line can drive up to 350 mA. Also, there is a 7-bit output register. The latter is intended for use to send address and gain-control commands to external signal conditioner/sub-multiplexers. However, if that expansion capability is not used, then these bits can be used as general-purpose digital outputs.
COUNTER/TIMERSThe board contains a 1 MHz crystal-controlled oscillator and a type 82C54 counter/timer chip that has three 16-bit programmable down counters. Counters 1 and 2 are concatenated to provide 32 bits count capability and the "zero-crossing" output of Counter 2 can be used as a pacer clock for timed start commands to the A/D converter. Frequency generation is easy because Counters 1 and 2 form a 32-bit counter and there is a 1 MHz input. Pulse width measurement of slowly changing signals is easy because the slow-changing signal can be applied to Counter 1's gate input and the 1 MHz oscillator provides a known input frequency. Frequency measurement is simplified because Counter 0 can be used to generate a variable gating signal. Finally, transition counting can be performed by Counter 0 if events to be counted are applied to the clock input. Basically, Counter 0 input is used for frequency measurement and event counting. The Counter 1 gate input is used for pulse measurement and the Counter 2 output is used for fre quency generation. In each case, you need to apply or read a signal at only one connector pin.
INTERRUPTSWhen software enabled, the PCI-AI12-16 board has Interrupt capability. An IntA can be initiated by completion of A/D conversions. In Model PCI-AI12-16A, an Interrupt can be initiated when the FIFO data buffer is half full. The FIFO’s used on “A” models permit data acquisition without timing concerns.
PRECISION EXCITATION VOLTAGEA +10VDC (±0.2V) reference voltage is developed from the A/D converter reference source. That reference voltage is available at the I/O connector for external use and can source up to 200 mA.
SOFTWAREThe PCI-AI12-16(A) is supported for use in most operating systems and includes a DOS, Linux, and Windows 95/98/Me/NT/ 2000/2003/XP compatible software package. This contains sample programs and source code in "C" and Pascal for DOS, and Visual Basic, Delphi, and Visual C++ for Windows. Also incorporated is a graphical setup program in Windows. Third party support includes a Windows standard dll interface usable from the most popular application programs, along with LabView .VI samples. Linux support consists of installation files and basic samples for programming from user level via an open source kernel driver.
Drivers and Downloads
Information about our Free Software packages:
ACCES is proud to provide a full suite of software support with every Data Acquisition product. We are committed to supporting the most popular operating systems and platforms for our customers. Currently we are actively supporting Windows XP through Windows 10, including "Server 2008," "Embedded," and "Compact" flavors in both 32-bit and 64-bit for all plug-and-play products including PCI, PCI Express, USB, and more. Many products continue to ship with support for additional operating systems such as DOS, Windows 95, 98, Me, NT4, and 2000.
Among the software we deliver with our products are sample programs in a wide variety of programming languages. These samples are used to demonstrate the software interfaces to our products — and many can be used as-is in your production environments, or to test functionality of the devices out-of-the-box. We're currently actively supporting sample programs in Microsoft Visual C#, Visual Basic, Delphi, and Visual C/C++, with many devices including samples in Borland C/C++ 3.1 for DOS. Additionally we provide National Instruments LabVIEW compatible DLLs and many demonstration VIs for our devices.
Drivers for various operating systems are also provided, including active support for Windows XP -> 10 — all in both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors, and including consumer, server, and embedded varieties — as well as the 3.x and 2.6 Linux kernels and recent OSX versions. Many products continue to ship with driver support for Windows 95, 98, Me, NT4, and Windows 2000, but support for these operating systems is considered deprecated.
Setup Programs and Utilites
Our Data Acquisition devices also include a graphical setup utility that walks you through the process of configuring any option jumpers or switches on the device, as well as explaining a little about the various connectors present.
Many devices also include utility programs - little tools to make your use of the device easier, such as WinRISC, a "Really Incredibly Simple Communications" terminal program that lets you get started instantly with serial devices.
"Register Level" Documentation
Besides all this software in all these languages and operating systems ACCES has a policy of open and transparent development: none of our lowest-level "register" interfaces are hidden from you — we document every register in every bus card, every command in every serial board, and every usb control transfer in every USB Data Acquisition board. These lowest-level interfaces allow you to develop for our products in ANY operating system or language, regardless of our actively supporting it or having a driver for it. We have customers actively developing in ADA, Android, Python, Java, MATLAB, Solaris, and more, just by referring to our complete low-level interface documentation! And we provide the full source code to all of our drivers, regardless of operating system, to give you an even bigger head start in your own development tasks.
No Fees or Royalties
All of this software is provided at no additional charge, and is licensed under any of a variety of flexible — and royalty free — options. Check out our software license explanation if you'd like more information..
ACCES also offers Custom Software Services for our products. Our prices are unbelievably low, often as inexpensive as free! If you need something tweaked to support your needs, or an entire enterprise application developed from scratch, it is definitely worth your time to inquire with us, first.
Further information about available ACCES Software:
- Redistributing Windows Drivers
- A list of ACCES drivers and the files that compose them under different versions of Windows, so you can easily redistribute ACCES cards and drivers.
- Type: Successive approximation
- Resolution: 12 binary bits
- Unipolar Voltage: 10V, 5V, and offset ranges 1.25V to 3.75V and 1.25V to 6.25V
- Bipolar Voltage: ±10V, ±5V, ±2.5V, and ±1.25V
- Current: 4-20 mA. (When this range is selected amplifier gain and offset are automatically adjusted so that full 12-bit resolution is achieved.)
- Conversion Time: 8 µsec maximum, 5.7 µsec typical
- Integral Linearity Error: ±0.45 LSB maximum
- Differential Non-Linearity: No missing codes
- Overall Accuracy: ±0.25%
- Sample and Hold Acquisition Time: 2 µsec for a full-scale step input
- Aperture Delay: 40 nsec typical
- Throughput: Up to 100 Ksamples per second
- Zero Drift: ±2 ppm/°C typical
- Full Scale Drift: ±5 ppm/°C typical
SAMPLE AND HOLD AMPLIFIER
- Acquisition Time: 1 microsecond to 0.01% typical for a full-scale step function input
- Aperture Uncertainty: 0.3 nanosecond typical
EXCITATION VOLTAGE OUTPUT
- Voltage: +10 VDC ±0.2 VDC
- Temperature Coefficient: ±30 PPM/°C
- Load Drive: 200 mA maximum
- Four-Bit Digital I/O:
- Input Voltage: Logic High is 2.0V min, Logic Low is 0.8V max
- Output Drive: 350 mA (sink only) each output with 20 mSec pulse width and a 30% duty cycle
- Seven-Bit Digital Output: Drives 25 mA maximum
- Type: 82C54-2
- No. of Counters: Three 16-bit down counters. Two are permanently concatenated as a 1 MHz counter with clock from a 1 MHz crystal controlled oscillator.
- Output Drive: 2.2 mA at 0.45V
- Input Gate: TTL/CMOS compatible
- Clock Frequency:
- Internal: 1 MHz
- External: DC to 10 MHz
- Active Count Edge: Negative Edge
- Min. Clock Pulse Width: 30 nSec high/50 nSec low
- Timer Range: 2.5 MHz to <1 pulse/hour.
- Operating Temperature Range: 0°C to 50°C
- Storage Temperature Range: -20°C to +70°C
- Humidity: 5% to 90% RH, Non-condensing
- Power Required:
- +5 VDC @ 900 mA typical
- +12 VDC @ 125 mA typical
- - 12 VDC @ 125 mA typical
- Length: 7.5" (191 mm)
- This product is in full compliance with CE requirements.