mPCIe-ICM485-4, mPCIe-ICM485-2 and mPCIe-ICM485-1
Four, two, and single-port isolated RS485 PCI Express Mini Cards
- PCI Express Mini Card (mPCIe) type F1, with latching I/O connectors
- 4, 2, or 1-port mPCIe RS485 serial cards with optional DB9M connectivity
- 500V isolation port-to-port and 1500V isolation port-to-computer on ALL signals
- High performance 16C950 class UARTs with 128-byte FIFO for TX and RX buffering
- Supports data communication rates as high as 3Mbps - 12MHz with custom crystal
- Port-by-port customer configurable termination
- Virtually any custom baud rate may be configured by the user via register settings, no custom oscillator needed
- ±15kV ESD protection on all signal pins
- Supports 9-bit data mode
- RoHS and Industrial Temperature (-40°C to +85°C) both standard
- Low cost software add-on provides vxWorks 7 support (call for other versions)
The mPCIe-ICM485 family of cards feature high performance 16C950-class UARTs. Available in 4-port (mPCIe-ICM485-4), 2-port (mPCIe-ICM485-2) and 1-port (mPCIe-ICM485-1) versions, each port is capable of communication speeds as high as 3Mbps and has 128-byte deep transmit and receive FIFOs. Large FIFOs protect against data loss in multitasking operating systems, reduce CPU utilization, and improve data throughput, while reducing or eliminating inter-character or inter-packet pauses. The advanced integrated circuit with pre-scalar supports a wide variety of custom baud rates, and any rates not otherwise achievable can be supported via a custom factory-installed crystal oscillator (up to 12Mbps!).
Tru-Iso™ port-to-port and port-to-PC isolation provides a robust solution to common signal level and grounding issues when using long cables to connect computers and other powered devices - up to 500V of difference between pins and adjacent ports and 1500V between each port and the host computer.
Communication is possible either with custom application software, with off-the-shelf applications (such as HyperTerminal), or with provided samples and utilities, including WinRISC™ (“Windows Really Incredibly Simple Communication).
The serial ports on the device are accessed using a low-profile, latching, 5-pin Hirose connector. Optional breakout cables are available, and bring each port connection to a panel-mountable DB9-M connector.
The mPCIe-ICM485 Series is especially useful in applications where high common-mode external voltages are present. Isolation is required to guard electronics from transient voltage spikes and offers greater common-mode noise rejection in surroundings containing industrial machinery and inductive loads. These applications include factory automation, energy management, industrial ON/OFF control, security systems, manufacturing test, and process monitoring. Careful attention has been paid to isolation design, including extensive keep-out zones and hand-routed circuit paths, as well as component and material selection. The mPCIe-ICM485 Series can be used in the following markets.
- Health and Medical Systems
- Point of Sale (POS)
- Automated Retail Kiosks
- Embedded Systems
- Traffic Systems
- Factory Automation and Process Control
Our Tru-Iso™ products are designed under IPC-2221B Generic Standard on Printed Board Design. The circuit is isolated with a ≥ 300mil gap between all signal and plane layers between the ports and the PC, and a ≥ 100mil gap port to port. These gaps are rated under IPC-2221B at a peak working voltage of 1500V (Port to PC) and 500V (Port to Port). Our circuit uses a chip-level high-frequency DC-DC isolator which is rated at 2500VRMS for 1 minute under UL 1577 optical isolators standard. This isolation component has an over 50 year isolation lifespan even if the isolation voltage potential is in excess of 350 volts AC. Tru-Iso products are also designed to meet EN60601 medical electrical equipment standard. TRU-ISO™, for true signal isolation.
Please contact ACCES with your precise requirement. Examples of special orders would be custom oscillators, conformal coating, custom software or product labeling, and more. We will work with you to provide exactly what is required.
Accessories and Connections
Available accessories include 4 or 2-port DB-9 cable kits and screw terminal board for quick and easy connectivity. The ADAP9 accessory provides a screw terminal connection to break out the RS485 signals on the DB9M connector. I/O is accessed via Hirose DF57 5-pin latching connectors on the card.
A complete driver support package is provided including an easy-to-use Windows terminal program for testing your COM ports. This simplifies the verification of proper COM port operation. The card installs as standard COM ports in all operating systems including DOS, Linux (including Mac OS X) and 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. Additional drivers may be available for a wide variety of operating systems including Windows CE, WES7+, vxWorks, and more. Please contact the factory for compatibility with your specific OS.
Drivers and Downloads
ACCES also offers Custom Software Services for our products. Our prices are unbelievably low, often as inexpensive as free! If you need something tweaked to support your needs, or an entire enterprise application developed from scratch, it is definitely worth your time to inquire with us, first.
Further information about available ACCES Software:
- Redistributing Windows Drivers
- A list of ACCES drivers and the files that compose them under different versions of Windows, so you can easily redistribute ACCES cards and drivers.
|Pin||Signal Names||Signal Descriptions|
|2||Rx/Tx+||Dif. half-duplex +|
|4||Rx/Tx-||Dif. half-duplex -|
|DB-9 Male Pinout|
|Pin||Signal Names||Signal Descriptions|
|4||RTS||Request To Send|
|7||RTS||Request To Send|
|8||CTS||Clear To Send|
- PCI Express Mini Card: Type F1 "Full Length" V1.2
- I/O: Hirose DF57-5P-1.2V 5-pin, latching
- Mating: Hirose DF57H-5S-1.2C
- Serial Ports: 4 (or 2) RS-485
- UART: Quad 16C950 with 128-byte FIFO for each transmit & receive buffer
- Baud Rates: Up to 3M baud (advanced-prescaler allows a wide variety of unusual baud rates to be achieved. Up to 12Mbps via custom crystal option.)
- Character length: 5, 6, 7, 8 bits (contact factory for assistance with 9-bit data)
- Parity: Even, Odd, None, Mark, Space
- Stop Interval: 1, 1½, 2 bits
- Flow Control: Xon/Xoff, None
- Operating Temperature: -40°C to 85°C
- Storage Temperature: -65°C to 150°C
- Humidity: 5% to 95%, non-condensing
- Power required: +3.3VDC @ 1.6W (typical)
- ESD Protection: ±15kV on all signal pins (IEC 61000)
- Weight:6.4 grams
- Size: length: 50.95mm (2.006″); width: 30.00mm (1.181″)
The 4-port model violates component height restriction on ″bottom″ side by up to 1.3mm. Confirm your host PC does not place components under the mPCIe footprint before ordering.
- Port-to-PC: 1500V peak (AC or DC)
- Port-to-port: 500V peak (AC or DC)
Careful attention has been paid to isolation design, including extensive keep-out zones and hand-routed circuit paths, as well as component and material selection.
- This product is designed to be in full compliance with CE requirements.
OEM and volume pricing available, please call us.
|mPCIe-ICM485-4||4-port isolated RS-485 PCI Express Mini Card with industrial operating temperature|
|mPCIe-ICM485-2||2-port isolated RS-485 PCI Express Mini Card with industrial operating temperature|
|mPCIe-ICM485-1||Single-port isolated RS-485 PCI Express Mini Card with industrial operating temperature|
|CAB-mPCIe-ICM4S||Four port DB9 male cable accessory kit $49|
|CAB-mPCIe-ICM2S||Two port DB9 male cable accessory kit $29|
|CAB-mPCIe-ICM1S||One port DB9 male cable accessory kit $19|
|ADAP9||Screw terminal adapter (single DB9 female to 9 screw terminals) $19|
|mPCIe-HDW-KIT2||2mm mounting hardware kit $1|
|mPCIe-HDW-KIT2.5||2.5mm mounting hardware kit $1|